Monday, August 17, 2015

Bout of Books 14- Opening Post and Monday

Bout of Books

Bout of Books is upon us again! I have to say, it kind of crept up on me and I nearly forgot about it. But for once it's actually fallen on a good week for me- my last week of only working part-time- so I'm hoping to get some serious reading done!

For the uninitiated, from the blog:
The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, August 17th and runs through Sunday, August 23rd in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 14 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog.

The Books & Goals

Here's my initial book pile, with bonus Wee Cat:




From top to bottom:
The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood
The Pale King by David Foster Wallace
NOS4R2 by Joe Hill


Ideally I'd like to finish all of these this week- I'm already more than halfway through NOS4R2 so it's doable, I hope! I'll see how the week pans out though. 


Monday

Reading: NOS4R2 by Joe Hill, The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood
Pages read: 105+71= 176

10.28pm
I'm off work today and like most days off I'm not really sure where the time's gone! I had to bring my car up to the garage to get new brake pads which cost me almost all my weekend's wages, boo. I've also been distracted by cats- a cat we feed had a kitten in our back garden a couple of weeks ago, and he's seriously the biggest distraction ever. Those little blue eyes! I'll try to get a picture up this week, if the mama allows me. She's very protective.

But on the reading front! I have read a good bit more today than I have been reading lately. I made a good dent in NOS4R2, which is good but seriously fucked up in places. There's a villain called Charlie Manx who kidnaps children in his 1938 Rolls Royce Wraith and takes them to 'Christmasland' and he's just kidnapped the protagonist's son, so, shit has hit the fan, pretty much. It's a great read and I really want to find out what happens, but it is very dark so it's hard to keep reading sometimes.

 I started The Blind Assassin as a reprieve. It's an odd one so far, darting about all over the place even from the very start but it seems promising so far. 


No comments:

Post a Comment