Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Books I've Read Recently

It's a never-ending refrain with me that I'm permanently busy. Seriously, since exam season it's been basically non-stop, with graduation and house-hunting and job-hunting... then things got crazy stressful for a bit when my housing situation went wrong in the worst way and something Very Bad happened to someone I love within a space of a few days. But things have improved, more so than I could have hoped for actually, and hopefully I'll be able to give this blog a wee bit more love and attention. But then, I always say that, don't I?

Anyway. Here's another of those things where I talk about what I've been reading lately.




Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

I'm a relatively recent Rainbow Rowell fan: I loved Fangirl and Eleanor and Park but I was sort of avoiding this one because it seems a bit rom-commy, and I am not a rom-com person. But I picked it up in the interest of broadening my horizons and it was actually really enjoyable- Rowell is so good at making me like and care about characters. Also it was funny and really 90s, and yeah, it was great.






His Last Bow by Arthur Conan Doyle

(My copy was an ugly free ebook, so let's just look at Benedict Cumberbatch instead ;) )

I've been a huge Sherlock Holmes fan for years, and I'm finally getting around to reading the less famous books. This is the last book of short stories I hadn't read yet, boo. This is the last published collection and I sort of didn't expect it to be as good- there is a bit of a decline in quality with the stories towards the end I find- but I was pleasantly surprised. I especially liked "The Dying Detective" and "The Bruce-Partington Plans".



Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny

I've been trying to read more classic sci-fi since reading Jo Walton's Among Others, whose main character Mor is obsessed with the genre, and this is one of the books that gets mentioned quite a lot. It was weird, but I liked it. A man wakes up with no memory of who he is, and discovers he is one of many brothers fighting for the crown of a parallel world. This is a quick read that throws you right in at the deep end, and I'm sufficiently intrigued to want to read further in the series.





Murder Most Unladylike by Robin Stevens

Set in a 1930s boarding school, Daisy Wells and Hazel Wong investigate the death of their science teacher. This was a great little read- I have a thing for boarding school stories and the mystery was well plotted out. I definitely want to read more in the series.









Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn

More of my branching out into romantic comedies- Dash and Lily pass a notebook of challenges to each other around New York, kindling a romance before they ever meet in person. This started out great, but it kind of lost me a bit when they actually did meet up and it all got a bit silly. Still, worth a read, and interesting for its exploration of the idea of expectation versus reality for relationships.






What I'm 





No comments:

Post a Comment