Saturday, April 25, 2015

The Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon Opening Post

Hey everyone! I'm late to the party because I was at work, but I'm ready and raring to go. I got out of work slightly earlier than expected so I'm starting this post and getting my snacks together and should actually start reading soon!

Opening meme (because hey, why not):

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
I am reading from Armagh, Northern Ireland. Nice weather earlier on, but obviously getting a bit cold and dark as it's after eight o'clock here.

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
Full Frontal Feminism by Jessica Valenti. I'm about 100 pages into it and I've found it's fun, easy read with a serious message. I'm hoping to finish it over the course of the readathon.

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
Oh man, there are so many. I have a bag of mini Wham bars which I'm pretty stoked about.

4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
I'm a student in my final weeks of completing my degree in English and French, and I deliver pizza on the side. I'm a Ravenclaw and a cat person and my music taste ranges from hardcore punk to Broadway musicals.

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
I've sort of 'read along at home' at previous readathons, but this is my first time properly taking part with a blog and everything. It's also my first 24 hour readathon in a very long time, so I'm excited!


The Books

Obviously I'm not going to make it through all of these, but everyone needs a to-read pile!


Okay, it's not the best picture, so the books are:
  • Nana by Emile Zola and The Wild Irish Girl by Lady Morgan- both books for uni. The plan is I can kill two birds with one stone by readathoning and doing uni work! The Morgan in particular I need to finish by Monday, but tbh I'll probably get distracted by other books.
  • The Horse and his Boy by CS Lewis- amazingly, I am currently reading the Narnia books for the first time. I know. Please feel free to tell me I had no childhood in the comments.
  • Full Frontal Feminism by Jessica Valenti- like I said, this is a great, really readable intro to feminism.
  • Stone Mattress by Margaret Atwood- because I've had it out of the library for an embarrassingly long time and haven't read it yet. The only other Atwood I've read is the amazing The Handmaid's Tale, so obviously I need to read more of her.
Also on the Kindle are:

  • Adam by Ariel Schrag- there's been a lot of buzz about this book- it's about a straight boy who starts hanging out with a bunch of LGBTQ+ people and ends up in a relationship with a girl who thinks he's trans- when he's nothing of the sort, but he's not going to tell her that. It's been pretty polarizing (as you can probably guess) but I read and loved Schrag's graphic novel memoir Potential a few years back, so I'm excited about this.
  • The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton- this is a very large book and I'm so near the end, so this will be my starting point. I'm enjoying it and it'll be good to finish it off and (hopefully) have the mysteries wrapped up.

Okay, it's just after 9pm here, so let the reading commence!



No comments:

Post a Comment