Sunday, October 11, 2015

Monkalong, Week 2 or Yes, This is What I Signed Up For.

Hey! Well, it didn't take me long to fall behind in updates, but better late than never, right? This week I started my MA and worked eight days in a row. Five of which were overnight shifts.

Literally me this week

I enjoyed this week's reading! A lot of you seemed pretty bemused by Raymond's 'let me tell you how I tried to seduce your sister and ended up pledging my love to a ghost, whoops' but I really liked it. Bands of murderers and creepy ghost nuns are far more up my street than hormonal monks. I have a thing for the slightly-OTT gothic, what can I say. Though I TOTALLY saw the Agnes/ghost switcheroo coming. If your loved one is in a costume, check it's them first before you do anything drastic.


If Vivien had read The Monk, a lot of shit could have been avoided.


Raymond's name is bugging me. Matthew Lewis, you should have just stuck with Alphonse for his name, if only because it goes with Lorenzo better. I have an uncle Raymond. He's in his fifties, wears jumpers and rarely leaves his farm. Raymond is not the name of a Marquis's son.

Also, I think Raymond's a bit of a drama queen. So, he gets in the carriage smash and dislocates his arm and breaks two ribs and his "left leg was shattered so terribly, that I never expected to recover its use". I mean, that's pretty serious stuff. But he seems to recover remarkably quickly from such serious injuries and doesn't even mention his leg again. I'm guessing he scraped his knee and the peasants were just like, humouring him.

Everyone else picked up on the diatribe about writing: "In short, to enter the lists of literature is wilfully to expose yourself to the arrows of neglect, ridicule, envy, and disappointment." I'm taking that as permission to poke fun at this book as much as possible. JK, Matthew Lewis, I like you really, despite your ridiculousness.

Some stuff about families allowing/not allowing the marriage blah blah, and then we find out that Agnes is dead! Or is she? I'm guessing either she's not dead at all or the nunnery has had her quietly disposed of. Either way, it's all very suspicious.

That's it for this week! I've already read next week's reading so hopefully my post will be up on time. Because I have feelings about it. 




1 comment:

  1. "I'm guessing he scraped his knee and the peasants were just like, humouring him." That would be just LIKE Raymond to exaggerate his injury in the retelling of his epic tale.

    Oh man, that American Horror Story comparison. Wise words to live by.

    ReplyDelete